1. What foreign languages does the Department of Modern Foreign Languages offer?

The Department of Modern Foreign Languages currently offers courses in Spanish, German, Portuguese and French and Chinese. Morehouse students are also able to take Latin and Japanese at Spelman College.  

2. How do I contact the Department? 

The Department of Modern Foreign Language is open Monday – Friday from 9am – 5pm during the academic year. You can reach the department at 470-639-0261 or by contacting Ms. Butler at We are located in Brawley Hall 307.


3. I am unsure what level language course is best for me. Do you have a placement exam?

Yes, our department offers a placement exam in German, Spanish and French. The login information for this exam is sent out with the enrollment packet from the Office of Admissions. If you no longer have access to this information, please contact Ms. Nicole Butler ( schedule an appointment to take the placement exam in person at the department. For more information

4. Do I have to take a placement exam?

The placement exam is not a requirement for the 101 level language courses. It is however required if you want to be placed in a 102, 201, 202 or 300 level course. 

5. How do I take a placement exam for Chinese, Portuguese, Latin or Japanese?

There is no placement exam for Portuguese, Chinese, Latin or Japanese. If you are interested in taking a 200 level (or higher) course in any of these languages, then you must speak with the respective professor. The language professor will determine your appropriate course level. For Atlanta University Center Consortium (Spelman and Clark Atlanta), you need to complete a cross-registration form from the Registrar Office. 

6. Can I take courses at another institution outside of the Atlanta University Center Consortium?

Yes, Morehouse students are able to take classes at other institutions. These courses, however must be pre-approved by the department chair, Dr. Michael Dillon. For off-campus approval, complete the designated form (read the guidelines) and send as a pdf file using your Morehouse email account only cc to your advisor, major department chair and Ms. Nicole Butler at  Evaluation of the request will take approximately 3-4 days.

7. What do I need to take to fulfill my language requirement?


Students who entered Morehouse College prior to Fall 2018 can satisfy the foreign language requirement by taking two courses at the 201 -202 intermediate level (6 credit hours).  Courses taken at the 101-102 elementary level may be taken for elective credit only.


Students who will enter Morehouse College in Fall 2018 can satisfy the foreign language requirement by taking the sequence 101, 102 and 201 (9 credit hours). All students must take the placement exam to ensure proper placement. 

At the beginning of the semester, the instructor will verify all student levels of competency and/or the instructor might ask the student to take the placement test again. Upon evaluation, the student will be reassigned accordingly.

The Department of Modern Foreign Languages reserves the right to require students to retake the placement examination to ensure proper placement and reassign the student. The initial course that new incoming students are assigned will determine how many courses are needed to fulfill their language requirement. Students cannot skip the sequence.

8. I am proficient in a language that is not offered by the Department of Modern Foreign Languages? Can I test out of the foreign language requirement?

Yes. Morehouse students with an intermediate level or higher in a second language have various options to fulfill their General Education language requirement.  Students can:

  • Take the ACTFL OPI and earn a minimum score of Intermediate Low (ACTFL OPI offers more than 80 languages). For other languages, take an OPI through the University of Pennsylvania’s Penn Language Center. The test proctor for our department is Ms. Nicole Butler. Her email address is
  • Earn a score of 4 on the AP Spanish, French or German exam,
  • Receive CLEP Level 2 with a score 63,
  • Come from a high school with a Seal of Biliteracy,
  • Come from a high school with an International Baccalaureate Diploma,
  • Study Abroad during summer or semester, with specific proof of having satisfactorily completed the General Education language courses,
  • Satisfactory completion of 202 or one upper level course (300).
  • Once you demonstrate proficiency in another language, the Department of Modern Foreign Languages will contact the Registrar’s Office to notify them of your foreign language exemption.

9. How many credits do I receive for testing out of a language? 

You will not receive any course credit hours for testing out of a language, however your academic records will show that you have fulfilled the language requirement. 


10. What majors does the Department of Modern Foreign Languages currently offer?

We currently offer majors in Spanish and French. The advisor is Dr. Michael Dillon. All students must see their academic advisor prior to registering for classes.  For more information.

11. What minors does the Department of Modern Foreign Languages currently offer?

The department currently offers minors in Spanish, French, German, Latin American Studies, Asian Studies and European Studies.

12. How do I officially declare a language major or minor?

Please print and complete a Declaration of Major/Minor Form and bring it to the Department of Modern Foreign Languages in Brawley 307.

13. Can I earn credits studying abroad? 

Yes. Each year the Department of Modern Foreign Languages offers summer study abroad programs that will allow you to earn up to 6 course credits.