Previous Page Next Page
2.11.2

Physical Resources
The institution has adequate physical resources to support the mission of the institution and the scope of its programs and services.

Judgment
  Compliant      Non-Compliant      Not Applicable

Narrative

In carrying out its primary mission of developing men with disciplined minds who will lead lives of leadership, service, and self-realization, Morehouse is guided by an administration and faculty who promote academic excellence, achievement, and high ideals.  By providing an environment which encourages students to develop a zest for learning, to show concern for the welfare of others, and to appreciate the ideals of brotherhood, equality, spirituality, humane values, and democracy, Morehouse molds outstanding men.

The College, originally named Augusta Institute, was founded in 1867 in Augusta, Georgia, and relocated to Atlanta in 1879.  It was renamed to Morehouse College in 1913.  Morehouse College sits on 61 acres and has 40 buildings, including 12 dormitories, 10 academic buildings, a campus center and an executive center. The campus is located in the Historic West End neighborhood of Atlanta and borders West End Avenue to the south, Lowery Boulevard to the west, Fair Street to the north and Westview Drive to the east.

Guided by its Campus Master Plan developed in 2002, the College endeavors to provide buildings and grounds that compliment the academic excellence experienced in the classroom. Over the last five years, the college has:

  • Acquired approximately ten acres of land abutting the existing campus to accommodate projected growth and development.
  • Built a 372-bed suite style residence hall complex (optimum number of bed and desired amenities were determined by market study).
  • Completely renovated Merrill Hall (built in 1953 to house the chemistry department) with new chemistry teaching and research labs.
  • Added a 13,000 square foot Technology Tower to house the Computer Science department, Information Technology and the Telecommunications program.
  • Constructed the Leadership Center, a 73,000 square foot academic building which houses the Division of Business Administration and Economics, the Andrew Young Center for International Affairs, the Leadership Studies program and the Bonner Office of Community Service.
  • Built a 590-car parking deck on an existing surface parking lot thus making optimal use of the site. The new deck included 10,000 square feet of auxiliary space for a new bookstore and coffee shop.
  • Remodeled Brawley Hall, a humanities building, to reflect the current needs of the music department and fulfill requirements for the accreditation of the college’s music program.
  • Renovated Dansby Hall, a 35,000 square foot academic building that houses the Math, Psychology, and Physics departments.
  • Installed stadium lights

In all of the newly constructed and renovated facilities, state-of-the-art infrastructure was included to support the use of technology for teaching, learning, business administration and security.

Other projects identified in the Plan include:

  • Renovation and expansion of three academic buildings built in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
  • New Physical Plant Operations complex
  • Student Center and Dinning facility
  • Additional suite style residence halls
  • Expansion of Gloster Hall, the main administration building
  • Recreational facilities such as outdoor courts, soccer and softball fields
  • Athletics and sports training facility
  • Alumni center
  • “University Village,” lease space
  • Parking decks
  • Security enhancements and special paving and landscaping

Given the net increases in academic space, Campus Operations commissioned a space utilization study to establish the current level of unmet space requirements or excesses on the campus with special attention paid to classroom utilization.  The findings indicated excess classroom capacity, due primarily to condensed scheduling and a deficiency in single occupancy faculty offices to meet the college’s targeted standards.  This information is being used in the planning for the addition of a 30,000 square foot academic building associated with the new Ray Charles Center for the Arts and the subsequent backfill plan for the space vacated by the music department.

Campus operations endeavors to provide an aesthetically pleasing landscape that accentuates the allure of the historic quad, where buildings date back to 1889, and creates eye-pleasing outdoor space throughout the campus grounds.  To that end, the historic quad was completely re-sodded, and irrigation systems were installed there and throughout the campus in strategic locations to support the additional plantings of trees, shrubs and flowering bushes.  These plantings have added form, beauty and color to the campus and softened the hard edges usually associated with an all male student environment.

 
Site Map | Morehouse Home Page Powered by Compliance Assist!