Office of Communications
T4 Content Management System
Date: January 14, 2013
In December, the Office of Communications web team, with technical support from the Office of Information Technology, launched a new website content management system (CMS) on morehouse.edu. This will be the first time the site will have the capability to be updated by end-users. Since the debut of morehouse.edu in 1997, the website (which contains hundreds of pages) has been managed and updated solely by the two staff members on the web team.
TERMINALFOUR Site Manager is a market leading enterprise web content management solution for Universities and Colleges across the US, Canada, South Africa, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland. The Terminal Four (T4) content management system was selected after extensive research and is currently used by over 300 clients, many in Higher Education.
It should be noted that while developing the CMS driven site, the web team simultaneously maintained and updated the old site. That’s why you haven’t noticed the switch. They also continued developing new sites and facilitated moving our web site to a new Apple Web server supported by IT. The new server should increase the speed in which our website pages are downloaded and reduce the amount of downtime we have been experiencing.
In moving Morehouse College from a web template model into a content management system, we will achieve the following objectives:
- Build a unified look and feel for the Morehouse College web presence that is consistent across all media and publications;
- Make visual theme changes to the entire Morehouse College web presence quick and easy, eliminating the need to touch and reconstruct every web page;
- Make updates quickly in response to current events, issues, and user feedback;
- Reduce the technical skills and resources necessary to contribute content to the web;
- Make “content” the focus of our web presence;
- Eliminate redundant, extraneous and outdated materials;
- Ensure web page integrity by using a web publishing model that facilitates regular editorial review for accuracy and currency prior to publishing;
Due to the size of our website, the integration of the CMS will take place in three phases and should be fully integrated by December 2013. The launch of the following sections was completed in this first phase: Morehouse.edu Home page, About Morehouse, Academics and News & Publications.
The Office of Communications will be executing the following rollout plan. The time estimate for integrating the remaining sections to the CMS is 12 months.
Aug – Dec 2012
| Phase Two
Jan – May 2013
May – Dec 2013
Many departments have expressed an interest in being early users of the new Morehouse College content management system and we are excited by the enthusiasm from so many who are eager to begin the transition to the CMS. We are developing a training schedule to start late spring for those users who have been identified as web contributors for their respective work areas. Web content contributors will receive six hours of training.
For More Information
Contact Minnie Jackson
T (404) 215-2680