Information pertaining to internship opportunities is updated regularly, and is available to all Morehouse College STEM majors. These opportunities consist of summer programs, as well as those programs offered throughout the school year within the metropolitan Atlanta area. Faculty members may also find these listings beneficial, as a resource for potential collaborations.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Making solutions and media, cloning, tissue culture,virus preparations, yeast transformations.
Will be responsible for maintaining laboratory stock solutions and media, assisting with tissue culture, mouse genotyping, cloning, small molecule screening and yeast genetics. The intern will be learning a great deal of techniques along side senior members of the lab.
- College coursework in biochemistry and biology is required.
- Previous lab experience as an intern.
- Willingness to learn and excellent communication.
- Work-study authorized students are also encouraged to apply.
Bio-Organic Chemistry Intern
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Where: Austin, TX
Thermo Fisher Scientific is seeking a summer scientific intern to provide bioorganic chemistry support for ongoing chemistry projects at Austin facility. Students will gain experience around performing organic synthesis experiments and purification procedures using standard organic chemistry laboratory techniques or new methods from literature to obtain pure, characterized compounds for biological evaluation.
Students enrolled in the program will have the opportunity to work on a specific project under the guidance of a research mentor in a laboratory setting. Experience in nucleic acid chemistry /organic synthesis would be a bonus.
Intern will have the opportunity to gain further knowledge and skill sets via refinement of organic chemistry skills, introduction to scale-up process and purification techniques, exposure to problems in process research, and perspective on the practical aspects of drug development.
Minimum Qualifications (must have)
Intern candidate must currently be located in Texas pursuing a MS or Ph.D in Chemistry with a strong academic performance, communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to work in a multi- functional environment.
Preferred Qualifications (nice to have)
Computer Science Intern
Where: Philadelphia, PA
Hey everyone! We're an early stage healthcare tech startup looking looking to bring on some amazing computer science talent.
Ideal candidates are CS juniors, seniors, and grad students who know SQL, Java, MATLAB, Android, and computer vision (or are super interested and willing to learn).
We are in the mHealth / telemedicine space and it's a great opportunity for any Penn and Drexel students looking for a part-time side-hustle.
This is a PAID position and hours are very flexible.
If you enjoy the project, moving to full-time after a few months (or graduation) is a possibility, as is an equity stake in the company. We are backed by Johns Hopkins University, the Coulter Fund, and DreamIt Health.
Project-Based Middle School Math Content Writer Intern
Where: Mountain View, CA
SPEAK SHMOOP? (Or can you at least write in it?)
Shmoop (www.shmoop.com) is a digital curriculum company that makes learning, teaching, and test prep materials that are - get this - smart and fun. We seek a high school- or college-level summer intern who knows how to use humor to create a better way to comprehend. We’re looking for a writer who can take somebody else’s funny work and make it even funnier (what we call Shmooping it up).
Writing 6th - 8th grade math content
- Make our jobs team ROFL in the first paragraph of your cover letter. Seriously. We should literally be rolling on the floor laughing.
- This probably goes without saying, but you need to have a great sense of humor. Fart jokes will only get you so far.
- Be self-starting, flexible, and comfortable working independently.
- Be able to come into our Mountain View, CA office a few days per week.
- Be well-informed about current events and today’s youth culture.
When you are finally ready to change learning forever, send us your wittiest cover letter, as well as a current resume. If you tickle our funny bone right off the bat, you’ll be asked to submit a writing sample and transcript.
Click here for more information.
PET Physics Intern
Siemens Medical Solutions USA, Inc.
Where: Knoxville, TN
Siemens Molecular Imaging: As one of the largest providers worldwide, Siemens Healthcare helps to optimize processes in healthcare and to better care for patients. This position is with the Science and Technology group of Siemens Molecular Imaging, in Knoxville. Siemens Molecular Imaging is the leader in the world for positron emission tomography research and development, and the Knoxville group is the center of such research within the company. Main tasks will be Positron Emission Tomography calibration techniques and assisting in testing of new and novel methods in PET. The intern will work under supervision, but will be required to work independently.
- Perform daily analysis of new technique of quality control for PET scanners
- Develop software package to perform automated analysis of daily QC
- Assist on reconstructions of transmission images with newly developed techniques
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Pursuing a degree, at any level, in Science (Physics, Mathematics, Engineering, Biology, etc )
- Experience in computer programming
- Good knowledge of IDL
- Basic knowledge of radiation detection and experience in scintillation material measurements
- Good communication skills, ability to work independently, creativity and problem solving skills
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Experience in an industrial or lab setting on a research team or environment
- Technical communication skills
- Knowledge of medical imaging and underlying physics
Industrial Psychology Intern
Where: Boston, MA
HigherMe uses data and video to help retail and service employers find, screen, and hire better employees faster.
We're a 2014 MassChallenge company, and we're recruiting the best team of interns in Boston.
We’ve had some major early wins here, but are just getting started. Our next step is to raise capital, and to do that, we need to prove out different components of our concept – we're building a big data platform, and we need your help.
We're looking for brilliant industrial psychology students who want to dive deep into the world of retail and service recruiting - and help us determine what questions we should be asking our applicants, and what personality traits are most important, to figure who who the best candidates are.
On top of that, we’re looking to provide you with opportunities to experience startup life by learning about the things that you most want to learn about, in the context of our company. We are a team of 3 right now, and there’s a million different things to get done – if you’re interested in learning more about any specific area of building a technology company, let us know which aspect.
We're hiring for the fall, but excited to start working with people right away.
To recap, we’re looking for someone who is:
- able to make a 20+ hour/week commitment to us for the fall – hours can be flexible, but we need someone invested
- interested in technology startups, and want to learn about the process of building a company from nothing and seeking initial funding
- able to work on small research/customer development projects for us to learn more about the market, the competitors, and our options
- can work remotely without constant direction from us, but able to visit our offices at MassChallenge 2-3 times/week
If any of this sounds like stuff you would not love doing – please don’t waste your time :) we can remember being in college and ready to do anything for anybody to get experience on my resume – and that’s a commendable attitude – but there are SO many opportunities out there that if you’re not genuinely excited by a specific one, it’s not worth wasting your time.