Morehouse College Green Initiatives
President's Climate Commitment
The American College & University President's Climate Commitment is a network of institutions led by a steering committee of college and university presidents and chancellors, and supported by three non-profit organizations.
Morehouse College and other fellow participatory institutions have agreed to incorporate climate change and sustainability into the educational experience of all students and to achieve climate neutrality at the earliest possible date.
A committee comprised of students, faculty and staff that are committed to "Going Green" and creating a culture of environmental responsibility to produce real and lasting changes.
A list of members on the sustainability Committee can be found here.
Morehouse-Wide Initiative for
Sustainable Energy (M-WISE)
Goals of M-WISE are to develop and institutionalize an interdisciplinary energy curriculum and an Institute for Sustainable Energy (ISE).
ISE includes interdisciplinary energy research projects and fostering community service by students.
The program provides a programmatic framework to reduce the risk posed by hazardous materials and to allow for compliance with environmental regulations pertaining to hazardous waste generated at Morehouse College.
Items recycled include:
- Single Stream Recycling (one container for ALL recyclables)
- Used vegetable oil is recycled in Bio-Fuel Program*
- Salvage Used Metal from non-repairable equipment before discarding*
- Ink/Toner cartridges*
- Cellular phones
- Plants (perennial flowers and shrubs) are first used as event table centerpieces instead of cut flowers and are then planted to enhance the campus landscaping and decrease the college's carbon footprint
- Usage of sustainable cleaning products throughout campus
- Usage of organic pest control products where feasible
*Funds from the Recycling Programs supports the Board of Trustee Opportunity Fund