Assistant Professor of Spanish & Portuguese, Renewable Non-Tenure Track Modern Foreign Languages
Assistant Professor of Spanish and Portuguese, Renewable Non-Tenure Track Modern Foreign Language position
The Department of Modern Foreign Languages at Morehouse College seeks a very special individual for a non-tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor of Spanish with the ability to also teach Portuguese. The successful candidate will hold a PhD in Spanish or related area and have significant graduate work in Portuguese (with a Masters in Portuguese preferred).
The department is seeking someone who thinks creatively about their teaching, engages in scholarship, and can be committed to the mission of Morehouse College—to develop men with disciplined minds who lead lives of leadership and service by emphasizing the intellectual and character development of its students and by assuming a special responsibility for teaching the history and culture of black people.
Responsibilities for this position include teaching a 3/4 load; advising and mentoring students; engaging in scholarship; and service to the department and the College. We also encourage all faculty to seek external funding through grants and other sources. The start date for the position is January 2017 or August 2017 depending on the candidate’s availability and is renewable according to the guidelines articulated in “A New (Renewable) Non-Tenure Track Position.” http://www.morehouse.edu/jobs/NTT.pdf
Minimum qualifications include a terminal degree in Spanish or related area and significant graduate work in Portuguese; commitment to excellence in teaching; evidence of a productive scholarship program; and service to the profession and community.
Applications are preferred online at https://apply.interfolio.com/37113
Morehouse College is the nation's largest liberal arts college for men, most of whom are African American. For information, visit the college web site at www.morehouse.edu. Morehouse College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If possible, please apply through our ad at: https://apply.interfolio.com/37113
A successful application will consist of the following:
- A letter of application providing detail on how the candidate meets the qualifications for the position and why they are a good fit for Morehouse College in particular (no more than 2 pages)
- A current curriculum vitae (no more than 4 pages)
- A statement of teaching philosophy (no more than 2 pages)
- A research/scholarship agenda (no more than 2 pages)
- HR Employee Application: http://www.morehouse.edu/administration/finance/hr/pdf/2012/Morehouse-Employment-Application-092111-v2.pdf
- The names and contact information of three references. The candidate should arrange to have three letters of recommendation from those references submitted in confidence to https://apply.interfolio.com/37113 else by email or postal mail to:
Department of Modern Foreign Languages
Dr. Michael Dillon, Chair
830 Westview Drive, SW
Atlanta, GA 30317
Candidates also have the option of sharing the following:
- Sample syllabi ( no more than 2 courses)
- Samples of research, scholarship, or creative production (no more than 2 samples)
- Teaching evaluations or summaries of evaluations (no more than 2 courses, but if submitted, only submit full class evaluations and not samples of class evaluations)
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. For full consideration, applications should be submitted by 11/01/2016.