Visiting Professor in Mathematics (Two-Year, Renewable)
Position Title: Visiting Professor in Mathematics (Two-Year, Renewable)Classification: Exempt
Division/Department: Mathematics Department
Reports To: Simons STEM Program Director
This visiting position will lead a newly created initiative to expose Morehouse students to (1) some clinical training in mathematics teaching; (2) teaching opportunities with their peers; and (3) more advanced teaching opportunities for those interested in pursuing teaching careers. While some aspects of this initiative may be similar to activities in a teacher licensure program, this is not a teacher preparation program. Given the importance communication plays in making mathematics meaningful, this initiative will be centered on providing opportunities to use the communication of mathematical ideas to improve student learning outcomes. We want to attract students with varying career aspirations interested in modeling a collaborative work environment and increasing their skills in effective communication. This visiting faculty position is grant funded and will remain in the Department of Mathematics. The position will possess demonstrated interest in teacher education and take a leadership role in developing and implementing activities for this new initiative.
- Teach 4 introductory (from our general education curriculum) mathematics courses per year.
- Design a training experience for advanced students to lead discussions on selected topics in our general education curriculum and build communication skills.
- Implement a training experience for selected student teachers
- Coordinate opportunities for student trainees to teach their Morehouse peers.
- Identify and coordinate advanced teaching opportunities for students off campus.
- Work with our existing mathematics tutoring center to help improve or expand the instruction given there.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- A minimum of 18 credit hours in graduate level mathematics is required to teach in the Mathematics Department.
- Previous involvement in the practice of teacher education or in emphasizing communication when teaching mathematics is highly desirable.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in mathematics or mathematics education, or MS in mathematics with significant experience training mathematics teachers;
- Demonstrated expertise or experience in mathematics teaching, training mathematics teachers or using communication of mathematics to improve learning outcomes;
- Strong knowledge of best practices for effective classroom teaching methods in mathematics; and
- Experience with assessment of student learning outcomes at the undergraduate level.
Extensive periods of time sitting, standing, and walking is necessary
Must have the ability to read and write frequently
Review of applications begins on April 21, 2017 and continues until position is filled. To apply go to http://apply.interfolio.com/40938
Morehouse College is an equal opportunity employer. No employee or applicant will be discriminated against in any condition of employment because of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.